Thursday, June 16, 2016

Day 1 to Alaska--sloppy conditions and sea sickness

Noon position: 24 05.8552N 160 26.9289W
Miles travelled since departure 6/15/16 at 14:45 local time: 123 nm

No easing into it for this trip! As soon as we got out of Hanalei bay conditions were lumpy and windy making for fast, sloppy and wet sailing. So we are getting somewhere quickly, but it's not comfortable. As has always happened in the past, the three guys are seasick and feeling lousy. The boys are sequestered in our berth and Tor is on deck which helps with his seasickness, but unfortunately with the conditions, it is really wet for him. At least the water is warm...

We've had 3 large splashes come down the companionway and get the computer wet. That's never happened before. I'm glad I had the foresight to put a plastic bag over the keyboard, so far it seems to be working. Knock on wood.

Fortunately I am not feeling sick, just tired, so I can take care of everyone else. The boat is taking care of herself. I'm already seeing signs in the boys that they are starting to get their sea legs. The sun is shining and we are making good progress, so things are good!

2 comments:

  1. Have a good trip! Hope the guys get their sea legs soon. PS Grace is tied to the visitor's dock in Everett Marina. Looking forward to seeing you again in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Kolby threw up the first day out as well! Funny how the passages between the island did not have the same effect! Waiting waiting waiting to see you in AK.

    ReplyDelete